Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Raspberry Banana Whole Wheat Muffin

I love baking muffins. Especially the ones made using whole wheat flour. I have always followed recipe tried by others. For the first time I have come up with my own recipe. And I am glad that it turned out to be perfect, moist and tasty.





I used raspberry, as we got some organic raspberries on our recent trip to Costco and also, I have never baked using raspberry. So I thought I will give it a try.





Raspberry Banana Whole wheat muffin

Ingredients

Whole wheat flour - 2 cups
Baking powder - 3 Tbsp
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Salt - 1/2 Tsp
Olive oil - 1/4 cup
Milk - 1 cup
Raspberry - 1 cup
Mashed Ripe Banana - 1 cup  (2 bananas)
Egg - 2 nos beaten
Vanilla Extract - 1 Tsp

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Mix 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl.
  3. Beat the eggs in a bowl.
  4. Add milk, oil, mashed banana, vanilla extract and beat for another 2 minutes until everything is well combined. I used a Han mixer but you can do this by hand too.
  5. Coat the raspberry with the remaining flour by gently tossing them together in a bowl.
  6. Add the dry ingredient mixture from step 1 to wet ingredients in step 3 slowly and stir to combine. Do not over mix as that would yield to a very dense muffin.
  7. Fold in the raspberries. To fold in, use a wooden spoon and mix the raspberries in by bringing the batter from bottom of the bowl to the top as if you are flipping a pancake.
  8. Fill the muffin liners upto 3/4th with the batter.
  9. Bake for 20 minutes or until s toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. I used medium muffin pan. Baking time may vary based on pan and oven.

The muffins came out well. They were moist and raspberry gave a nice color in between. But I realized I am not a big fan of raspberry in baked items. I would definitely make use of this recipe again, but would replace raspberry with blueberry. 




No comments:

Post a Comment