Wednesday, March 5, 2014

DIY paper wallart

I am smitten by these 3 letters DIY (Do It Yourself), especially when it comes to decorations. First time I tried this wall art was for our daughter's first b'day. I made few of these pinwheels in different shades of yellow (party theme color was yellow) and different sizes. It was the backdrop for photos and many people complimented. I loved it too and knew right away that I want to make a set of these as home decor for our home. 

My original plan was to make a huge arrangement for our living room with many pinwheels using paper with different designs in navy blue. But when I went to buy the patterned paper, I couldn't find any in navy blue. So I bought few papers in different shades of blue and few in grey. Since the curtains in our living room is navy blue, I didn't want these in that room. Still I made the pinwheels and while making it struck me that the bedding set we bought for guest bedroom has the same color scheme. All I had to do to make it perfectly match was to dig through daughter's b'day party decor items and pull out two small yellow pinwheels to add to the set. 





These pinwheels are really easy to make. All you need is patience. Pinwheel is made by folding paper to either sides to make a fan and then by gluing the ends together to form a circle. The method of folding a paper to make a fan is called accordion style of folding. You can find many tutorials on how to make these pinwheels. I found this tutorial explanatory. I used a paper punch to make a lace pattern over the edges before folding the paper. This can make the pinwheels more beautiful especially if you are using solid color paper like the yellow one in my set.



The advantage with this wall art is that you can change it anytime you want and it is eye catchy. You can customize the colors to suit your decor. With a little effort and a lot of patience you will have a statement wall all done by yourself. :) 


6 comments:

  1. Good artwork and great patience :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha thank you..:D
      you are the first reader who left a comment ! :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent makkutty, you have future in artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great!!..and I'm amazed how you manage to do it with a toddler around!! As for me, I've given up even reading the newspapers. :D
    Just a quick question though...do you take orders?? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha :D but on a serious note, starting an etsy store for my handmade crafts is another dream of mine..:)
      i do all of these when the toddler is napping or playing with daddy...of course she would be happy to help me, but i dont encourage especially when colorful papers are involved..:P

      Delete